Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Simplicity 3994 - Karen Makes a Coat!? The Muslin

I found this pattern, Simplicity 3944, on etsy.  It's from 1941!  It cost 15 cents back then! 

It's a little bit of a weird pattern...at first I was freaked out because I couldn't tell whether it had been used & I thought that the markings on the pattern pieces had faded because I couldn't see any...then I realized that it had been used (there are markings in pencil & some lovely old-fashioned writing) so the pieces are ready to go.  But there still aren't any markings (darts, grain lines, etc).  I don't know how the original owner figured out how what shape & size the pieces should be and I can't tell if the 5/8" seams have been added.  

The instructions do say to add the 5/8" seam, so I'm guessing the previous owner did so.  


Not many markings on
the pattern pieces!
The patterns have only one mark, which you can see in the photo to the left. (It's part of the pocket.)

Can you see the G & the small & large dots?  I'm guessing the G & the small dots are clues; I'll look at the instructions more closely to see what the small dots mean.  I expect the large ones are just part of the pattern-making process.

Finally, here's the back of the pattern.  

I'm using an old sheet I got at the Salvation Army for the muslin...we'll see how it goes.  I still haven't decided what to do w/ my amazing double-sided fabric Marc Jacobs' wool from Mood: lined or unlined?  Reversible?  Is that even possible?  Or make contrasting cuffs & pockets to show the reverse?  I may have to head over the Allison @ Bits of Thread to help me with these decisions...

3 comments:

  1. Have a read of the instructions because the larger hole may indicate the grainline.
    I worked on a similar pattern this year and the smaller hole mean something else.
    I think you'll have lots of fun with this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ma'am! I have not read the instructions yet...I'm using the election as my excuse. Hope to get to it this weekend...

      Delete
    2. I was just looking at the photo above, and I bet you are correct, Velosewer! Because that's a pocket flap & look where the big holes are! Interesting; now I can't wait to take a look at those instructions...

      Delete

You don't have to say you love me...