Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Some Sewing Links to Soothe Your Soul--Or Empty Your Wallet!

While in NYC a few weeks ago, sewing came up more than once and I thought I'd share a few cool things I've recently discovered that I know the sewiverse could take an interest in.


http://secure.netsolhost.com/191487.194242/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CQO&Product_Code=CQF9
First, City Quilter.  So much fun!  Great selection of fabric (lots of Japanese stuff), plus some of their own designs in the City Collection, which are NYC-themed fabrics (for example, Times Square, above). Cool!

Have you ever wanted a DIY couture sewing kit?  Have you dreamed of learning some crazy-amazing techniques? Have you heard of Alabama Chanin? Order a kit and get the fabric, notions & instructions.  Each pattern comes in multiple fabric & thread color choices...hundreds of options!  Anna's Garden skirt, below, is one of my favorites.  
http://www.alabamachanin.com/diy-annas-garden-skirt

You've probably heard of Spoonflower by now.  Design & print your own fabric (like on Project Runway!), and print it on anything from combed cotton to crepe-de-chine, or turn it into wallpaper, peel & stick decals or even wrapping paper!  I haven't tried it yet, but am thinking of getting some cotton printed with this photo from our community garden...
It's a photo of asters & marigolds which I played with a bit in Photoshop (obviously!). Spoonflower was having a giveaway today, so I ordered this print on a fat quarter of faille for free...just to try it out.

You probably know by now I'm a birder (and thrilled that Hedwig is here in DC!).  Also thrilling is that Charley Harper's wonderful bird & nature art has been turned into 4 different types of material by Birch Fabrics.  Here's a white-breasted nuthatch & a red-headed woodpecker on some canvas: 
And here's a list of shops that stock Birch Fabric (around the world).  

But I was thinking, "Hmmm, if I buy that it will get dirty so quickly once it's a backpack." So I googled "plasticize fabric" and found that there is such a thing as iron-on laminate!  My life is full

Even better, from the same website, a "how to" regarding sewing with laminated fabrics!  

And a new (to me) vintage pattern shop: So Vintage. Fun, but dangerous for my retirement fund!

So now you know where my brain is and how I'll be spending my recent federal government 1% raise!  Let me know if you try any of these things out; I'd love to hear what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't have to say you love me...