Tuesday, February 11, 2014

From the Collection: Falda de Guatemala, and Vintage Pattern Pledge!!

I've mentioned this lovely woven skirt from Guatemala before, but it's been taken from storage and is now adorning our bedroom.  It's huge: sewn into a loop about 10' long, 36" wide.  Women step into it, then use a belt to tie it tightly.  The warp threads are really just that--about the width of sewing threads.  Which is one reason it's so detailed, but I cannot imagine how long it must have taken to finish it!  

Here's a nice photo of women in similar skirts.

And one last photo.  One of the reasons the Roommate & I collect textiles is the loving care that goes into them.  This skirt not only displays the intricate weaving process, it also has a lovely velvet border added along part--probably the front, to make it a bit dressier.  I love the idea of a woman, somewhere, deciding to make her skirt just a little bit prettier!  You go, chica!  



Vintage Sewing Pattern Pledge
Also, I'm joining the Vintage Pattern Pledge, started by A Sewing Odyssey, over at her blog. You just have to look through all your amazing vintage patterns, then choose 5 that you pledge to make in 2014.  Fun, huh?  I will be curious to see what everyone else comes up with.  And am already wondering if some of the vintage-inspired patterns, and vintage reprints count?!  

You can tweet about it here: #vintagepledge

My first up vintage will definitely be Simplicity 6693 (1974), which I've already started on.  The Roomate has two so far, but I've already started on one for a friend! 


2 comments:

  1. Woohoo, so glad you've taken the #vintagepledge! Can't wait to see your makes! Just to be clear, you don't have to pledge 5 makes (it can be as little or as many as you like) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I've added you to the dedicated Pinterest board - http://www.pinterest.com/stitchodyssey/vintage-sewing-pattern-pledge/

      Delete

You don't have to say you love me...