|The underside of the collar.|
This is fairly cheap cotton, very thin & not at all drapy, and I was worrying about wearing it without a slip. Then I remembered I had a pretty burgundy silk slip from Wintersilks, which almost matched the terracotta red in the cotton. When I tried on the dress, almost done, yesterday, I had to take off 2.5" from the slip. So I did that, and re-hemmed the slip.
|Almost nothing left over!|
I used the silk I cut off to hem the bottom & the sleeves. There was so little fabric, I couldn't get the underside of the collar out of the kente print and had to use other West African wax print fabric.
|Take it to the selvage!|
I will make this one again. I love its cool look and big collar. I will definitely add a bit in the middle so that the french darts are lower, and I'd probably make the overall length a bit longer, too. Also, it needs a sway back adjustment (not much)...
BTW, it's got to be the best looking zipper I've ever installed! I'll give a shout-out to Allison @ Bits of Thread in DC for her expert tutelage.