Sunday, June 17, 2012

Vintage Pattern Rebuttal! from my mom

Free McCall's pattern from Post Cereals, 1971
You may have seen Tilly's recent post about Vintage Patterns, and I was inspired to get out a few of mine (I think I have about 30, but I've only purchased 2 of them; the rest I'm fortunate enough to have received from my mom.  Lucky, huh?

I also had the desire for a new summer dress.  So I got out this one from McCall's (1971), which my mom got for free by sending in boxtops to Post Cereals. I'm putting aside the corduroy dress that Allison @ Bits of Thread helped me with, and the Starlet Suit, too, for a bit. I went downstairs & got out some of my West African fabric stash to try to match up available yardage w/ fabric requirements.  Hopefully you'll see me modelling this one very soon!

Simplicity 6081 from 1965

Simplicity 6698 from 1966

Simplicity 6788 from 1966

6 comments:

  1. Lovely! That Simplicity 6081 in particular is just gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here from Tilly's blog...I also love the S6081, I'm going to find that one! The last S6788 looks like the prom dress I made in 1964 - the long one, but more form fitting in the hips, out of a lovely teal brocade. Love your mom's style, she may be my twin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that teal brocade dress was amazing!

      Delete
  3. Thanks both of you...

    Cherie, I was thinking it's great my mom has the patterns, but I really wish she still had the clothing! I will have her look for pics; my parents' house is pretty organized that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy making these patterns up. When people see a vintage dress made up, they do comment or take a double take to see what you're wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely YES on the enjoyment & the compliments! I suspect the compliments are just because what I'm wearing is different--nothing like it in stores. I've also gotten a few "I wish I knew how to sew" comments...

      Delete

You don't have to say you love me...