I cut up the pattern (actually just shaved off about 1/2" in a curve), even though I wasn't sure that was what I should do. You can see the shaved part (in red); I did this on both the front & back patterns. Now I did try this w/ the muslin (left the sleeves the same, but made the seam on the bodice a 1/2" wider) and it looked okay, on the muslin anyway.
Note: One good thing about an online class & printing your own pattern (even though it's 45+ pages & took me 2.5 hours to tape together): you can keep reprinting bits. So I reprinted the very top part of both the front & back bodice pieces (didn't need to reprint the whole pattern, just where I shaved off the shoulder).
So I followed the directions in my book, and did this instead:
Probably be this weekend before I get it cut out & sewed for my next try...
Of course the music is So Wrong, Patsy Cline!