I don't like hand-stitching & never feel it's as secure as machine stitching, so this post is about some changes I made.
|Basted lines for start/stop & placement|
I used almost the smallest stitch I have on my machine (mine goes to .8, and I used 1.0, but I have no idea what that means in #stitches/inch). I found that anything larger seemed to pull at the corners & didn't look as neat.
Some other changes I came up w/ after playing & playing & playing with bound buttonholes (I made 12 practice ones after all!)...
|1. Press the narrow sides away from the hole|
|2. Steamed, ready for machine-stitching|
I found that with the weave of the fabric, it wouldn't bend that well & stay put with just pins & my fingers. So I pinned & manipulated & steamed really well to keep everything in place for the next part.
|3. Machine stitched & finished!|
I did everything else pretty much as Gertie & Sherry recommend.
|5 bound buttonholes, all in a row!|
I put in 5 buttonholes, as you can see in the last photo. I like odd numbers; think they look better, and I really wanted one button right at the bustline...
Remember, you can always click on the photos to see the original, larger size.