I woke up this morning with this song in my head: Blue Sky, Allman Brothers, Dickie Betts singing.
Actually, I'm pretty happy, so I almost always have happy music in my head. But that inspired me to try one more time...well, 4 more hours. I just keep finding that if I made the darts big enough, it really messed up the bottom & sides. And taking up in the middle (adding a 1/2" seam down the middle of the front on the muslin), just didn't seem to do it. I also found (and am finding with the pattern I'm now adapting, too) that what fits on Helen, when cut out & sewed doesn't fit...sometimes not even close!
I never thought pattern making was easy; a friend in NYC does this for a living, and she's very much in demand, but I was right--it's difficult. So I gave up & went thru my vintage patterns & found this one, Simplicity 9602, from my mom. It's the right size--a 12 in the old size; 1971. I still have to modify it a bit because I want a V-neck & a collar (still trying to get Scruffy Badger's Simplicity 7501!). But since I'm starting with the correct size, not 6" too big, I'm hoping this will go better & faster.
I am finding that sewing with corduroy is a bit of a challenge. I have to pin more & sew slower or everything crawls around. And I'm used to pressing cotton, or linen, which is so hardy. I'm using a very light hand so I don't mash the corduroy. Here's the fabric in case you've forgotten thru all this what it looks like. I was in Hancock again today (forgot a zipper, so I bought 3), and they still had the pincord (thin corduroy) on sale, so I got more...purple this time! Another print, of course!
I've missed this class (ends 11/30): Bits of Thread Pattern Making class - Bodice, but this experience has definitely made me interested in taking the same thing, hopefully in the spring.