Okay, we are back from Catalonia. It was amazing...got to see all our friends (and their families & children), so that was wonderful. We were fortunate that 3 different sets of friends were in the same part of the world at the same time. And it meant we traipsed from one end of Catalonia to another, from mountains (hiking/birdwatching) to the seashore (the Roommate worked on his tan while I stayed inside & read--I'm a white girl!) to river deltas (more birding), and managed to bask in the amazing Modernisme architecture that is all over Barcelona. Our next project will be to rent some movies filmed in Parc Guell!
And while I was gone, of course I missed Bella, who is as sweet and adorable as ever. And I missed my machine & thought of about 50 more projects I want to do...but made a vow that I would finish up some UFOs before I move on.
Most of them are almost done, so really, it would be a little work to get a BIG feeling of accomplishment before I move on.
And what are those UFOs, you dare to ask? Well, let's get started...from oldest to newest the UFOs are:
1. Simplicity 1011A, which you probably recognize from Tilly's logo. This is a very good lesson in why muslins/toiles are so important. It is a little too small (wouldn't be if I'd lose that stone I gained since we moved to DC!), but could be let out. But the real problem is that the bodice is really too short in the front--and I refuse to take out & re-do the zipper--this was back when I wasn't so good at them and I remember it being he** to get it in). I need to do some playing (maybe not have it overlap so much at the double-breast in front?) and get it into shape. I love the pattern & the fabric, so really want this to work out.
2. 7051/7501 - This has been going on way too long. I have fixed the weird fitting issue, thanks to Allison, but have to remake the collar & facing as that required cutting off quite a bit at the neck-side shoulder seam. I really can't wait to have it done, and winter is sort-of coming, so it must keep its place in the UFO order.
3. Copy Your Clothes: Pants - I took this class with Allison at Bits of Thread, DC in April. Here we are 4 months later & though I made a toile (with extremely ugly sheet fabric as you see in the photo), and bought some super cheap $.99/yard fabric, I haven't finished them. They didn't quite fit right & I really have trouble adjusting & playing with fit as I mostly hate my body (Candy Says...) & therefore inspecting it closely for fitting is icky. And I'm not sure I want to tackle the lining that will be required. But I do want a few colors of these pants...it will be great. And, I want to make my Starlet Suit a pantsuit! Must achieve!
4. Starlet Suit Jacket! - It is actually about done. That is, if you consider w/out a lining about done! I've really enjoyed all that Gretchen has taught in this class. I've learned lots of stuff I'll use again, a few things that were interesting but probably won't use much, and had lots of questions & terms I had about tailoring answered/explained.
5. Probably not the best idea I've ever had. I really wanted this dress, but I'm not sure it's really for my body type (even if I did lose that stone!). This is Simplicity 6081, which my mom recently found & sent. (1966!). It is so cute & I love the fabric I've got, but goshee gollee, I am not having much luck w/ fitting it. Did anyone say toiles/muslins are important? This may get made into something else--like a book bag or cover for my tablet computer...
Next post I'll tell you why I'm so anxious to get all these crossed off my list...