You can see the super-cute fabric I got from fabric.com. (I thought they had the best selection, but Oilcloth Addict has a good selection, too, along w/ excellent project ideas & care instructions.)
Oilcloth is not easy to work with. It sort of fights back! I didn't have any trouble getting the slick side to feed through my machine, but apparently some people do & use tissue paper so that the feed dogs can grip the oilcloth. I didn't have to do that, but at some of the bulky points I did have to push & pull to help the machine.
|Line of stitches to make folding easier &|
my rotary cutter, used to press seams & folds.
I was using Brett's post on Design Sponge, but really struggled with the measuring & getting things to match up. I had to measure & re-measure & cut & re-cut, but I'm quite pleased with the result. And even though no small project ever turns out to be that straightforward for me...I don't think I spent more than 3 hours on the whole thing.
I am hoping that I will get better at it, because I really want to make a bunch of Brett's storage boxes to help with organization in my sewing room (and possibly in the kitchen, too). For one thing, I think the little storage bins will be great for patterns. Right now my patterns are mixed in with my fabric in large Ikea boxes, so a separate place to put them would be really useful.